- Get to Know Us
- Mamow Obiki-ahwahsoowin
- Mamow Oshki Pimagihowin
- Foster Parenting
- Working at Tikinagan
- Contact Us
Reports to:Direct Services Supervisor
Status:Full - Time
Salary:Dependent on education and/or experience
The Family Services Worker is responsible for providing child welfare services to children and families in ways that are consistent with Tikinagan’s vision, First Nations’ standards, and the Child and Family Services Act and related standards and regulations. As per the direction from Tikinagan’s Board of Directors and by Chiefs resolutions, and in order to work in the true spirit of Tikinagan Mamow Obiki-ahwahsoowin Service Model, Tikinagan has been moving services and staff positions to the community level. Hiring staff based in the First Nations served by Tikinagan is part of our decentralization efforts.
- Post secondary education and beginning social work training, or equivalent preferred.
- Must speak one of the Nishnawbe-Aski language dialects.
- Commitment to Tikinagan’s vision, goals and principles.
- A proven ability to work effectively with families and children.
- Experience and understanding of Native cultural issues, and of the geographic realities and social conditions within northern remote Native communities.
- Understanding of the Child and Family Services Act, and the role of child protection.
- Basic skills in verbal and written communication, and personal time management.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Professional integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
10. Must have: a) a valid Ontario driver’s license.
b) a current criminal record check prior to employment.
c) and be willing and able to travel.
11. Computer training experience is an asset.
12. On the job training will be provided.
13. The applicant must have or be willing to complete the Child Welfare Professional Training.
SUBMIT UPDATED RESUME, COVERING LETTER INCLUDING COMPETITION NUMBER AND 3 REFERENCES TO:
Tikinagan Child and Family Services
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1B1
Fax: (807) 737-4550
CLOSING DATE: June 18, 2012 DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m.
All successful applicants will require a current Criminal Record Check (CRC) (and Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) for positions working with children). As such, it is recommended that applicants apply for a CRC & VSC as soon as possible.
ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED